Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

#2: Visit to the Palmer


Julie Heffernan's
Self-Portrait as Woman Recovering from Effects of Male Gaze (What's Underneath), 1992
Oil on canvas
The full piece. 

Scene of a woman and child being abandoned by a man. 

Scene of Adam and Eve.


At first glance, the piece of art just appears to be yet another plain portrait of an assortment of fruit, a common scene artists have been painting for centuries. Heffernan used a variety of dull colors; deep red is the only hue that sufficiently sticks out. An array of apples and pears painted in reds, browns, and yellows surround the deep purple, almost black, grapes that are centered towards the back of the portrait. Shades of black surround the fruit, which is reflected in the very front of the portrait, thus creating a mirror effect. At the very bottom of the piece, the words "Self Portrait as Woman Recovering from Effects of Male Gaze" is painted in white script. Upon taking a second glance, the eyes begin to focus on the true meaning of this painting. It is not just fruit painted on this canvas, but there are images painted within the fruit. There are several scenes that illustrate Heffernan's attitude towards the harsh roles men have placed women in throughout history. 

This piece of art was created in what people call the "Year of the Women" because a number of female Senators were elected in the United States. This is extremely important in relation to the rhetorical situation of the piece. This was created in a time where substantial progress had been made for women with even more to come. This piece seems to map out the struggles women endured since the creation of human beings, starting with Adam and Eve, who are illustrated in the painting. In another scene, a robust woman gazes at herself in a mirror. I interpreted this as the effects of the expectations men hold women to, both physical and mental. Additionally, a woman and child stare off into the distance at what looks like a man as he floats off into the distance on a ship, suggesting how men have deserted women in the past. The other scenes in the portrait depict themes concerning social norms, the female anatomy, and love. 

While gazing at this piece of art, I did not experience any strong emotions, but I did feel intrigued to examine each small scene more carefully. It made me consider other examples of people objectifying women. I thought to myself how lucky I am to be living in a society today where women play a greater role in the government and the community and how women in other countries across the world are still being scrutinized and held back like the women in this painting. 

This particular artists holds credibility because she is a respected member of the art world. Heffernan achieved a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at the University of California, Santa Cruz and a Masters of Fine Arts degree in painting at Yale School of Art. She is now a professor of fine arts at Montclair State University in New Jersey. She has received many awards and distinctions including the E.H. Schless Prize for Highest Achievement in Painting and even a College Faculty Research Grant from the Pennsylvania State University. 

Personally, I believe the claim this piece is making is that men throughout history, starting with Adam and Eve, have objectified women. This claim is very persuasive because the painting is not just one scene, it's multiple scenes, all providing evidence of this one claim. They all show the inferiority women have dealt with since the start of humankind. 

Overall, I enjoyed my visit to the Palmer. I am not a frequent museum-goer, but usually take pleasure in the experience when I do go. I did not necessarily like the artwork on the first floor. I found it a little mundane, but I was fascinated by the artwork on the second floor, especially in the first room. I loved all the colors and different styles of artwork up there. I would like to go back and spend some more time exploring the museum. I could see myself discovering something I quickly passed over upon my first visit. 




No comments:

Post a Comment